This is an old map of Gästrikland published in 1789 and was called "Geometric map of Gästrikland". The author of the map is the Värmland copper engraver Jacob Gillberg. The map was compiled under the supervision of the County Governor and Commander of the Royal Order of the North Star, Count Fredrik Adolf Ulrik Cronstedt, overseen by the engineers Lenaeus and Lake.
Gästrikland is first mentioned in historical sources in 1253 and was then called Gestrikalandia. Gästrikland is bordered to the east by the Bottom Sea, to the east and south by Uppland, to the south by Västmanland, to the west by Dalarna and to the north by Hälsingland. The landscape has 1 800 known ancient monuments.
The landscape differs from the neighbouring regions of Hälsingland and Uppland in that traces of cultivation and settlement are missing from the time before the birth of Christ. This may possibly be due to the fact that it was hidden by later cultivation in the same place.
The birch boat from Hille parish has been dated to 400 AD. The largest burial mound in the landscape is Axmarhögen in Hamrånge parish.
Gästrikland is part of a broader definition of Bergslagen and finds of iron processing during the Iron Age have been made in the region, such as Kråknäsjärnet from 400 AD. Ironworking in Gästrikland and southern Hälsingland is thought to have competed with the extensive iron production that previously took place in Mellannorrland during the Vendelian period (6th century and later). A number of Viking-era rune stones are also found in the region.
According to the Erik Chronicle, Holmger Knutsson fled after the battle of Sparrsätra in 1247 to Gästrikland, where he was captured.